MELBOURNE FASHION WEEK DIARIES


MFW as a writer, stylist & model. 

Global fashion weeks have come and gone, but I still hadn't posted this this exclusive, highly requested* post. Melbourne Fashion Week took place from August 28th to September 5th, so yes, seven month ago. My heart is still giddy about that whirlwind week I had; I literally had a dream about it again last week. 

I've been attending fashion week every year since I was 14 or 15. I've won free tickets, went to free shows, splurged on tickets, volunteered front-of-house and back-of-house, and have been fortunate enough to attend as as media. This year was pretty different. In the midst of juggling full-time uni and my multiple jobs, I attended MFW as a writer, stylist and model. The buzz and energy of fashion week, even in the small pond of Melbourne, is intoxicating. Hell, it's draining and intense, but you can't help but fall into its dizzying spell.


*No one requested this.



As a writer

Earlier this year at VAMFF, I nervously attended a men's fashion show by myself. Luckily I was seated next to the loveliest woman in the room, Stacey Pallaras, who is the publisher of street style publication Cocktail Revolution. The next day, I sent her a tentative DM about wanting to write for her. One internship and three months later, I'm now a part of their writing team! What a bloody honour. I was super chuffed to attend MFW on behalf of them. Armed with my small notebook and too many pens, I eagerly watched seven shows across the eight days. It was my first time fashion reporting so it was a whole new terrain. I had to change up my writing style, write to daily deadlines and learn more about fashion designers and the associated lingo. There were a lot of late nights and abandoned uni assignments. But I wouldn't have changed anything. I loved it. 

Tip #1: Always chat to the others around you, some might ignore your cringe attempt at bonding over the weather, but others will prove to be completely charming, kind and great company. You might even land a job.
Tip #2: If time permits, research a bit about the designers beforehand. Combine that information with the dot points you take during the show and viola! There's your piece. 

Tip #3: How to not be awkward by yourself before a show? I don't know. If someone knows, please tell me.

Also I only decided to bring my film camera to the last show, so apologies because there's no photos of the other runways. Good one, Maggie. Here are the articles I wrote:


"This was menswear with a twist. No boring suit jackets and crisp pants here. Think edgy industrialisation with oversized pants and mesh tops paired with straps, buckles or thick silver chains. On a concrete runway under exposed pipes and wires, menswear designers showcased their latest collections in a flourish of movement and energy."

Street Runway 1

"Caledonian Lane, on any other given day home to some of the city’s best spring rolls, became Fashion Week’s first evening street runway. it played host to DJs, bubbly and bright blue lights, as some of Australia’s most established designers came out to play."


Street Runway 2
"Honking car horns, the smell of fried dumplings and a mosaic of red lanterns set a vibrant back drop. The shows drew in a broad mix of attending ethnicities, with both fashion goers and onlookers from balcony apartments watching on eagerly."




Street Runway 4
"Always a highlight of Melbourne Fashion Week, the last of the Street Runways brought a heavy dose of spring wardrobe envy. Street Runway 4 presented 11 designers , many with great sustainability credentials."








As a stylist

When you receive a DM from Converse's grassroots community, Converse_X_, you know something exciting is about to happen. I was asked to help assist the Converse styling team for the Poolside Runway. What a bloody exciting three days it was. I'm writing this seven months after the event, but it still gives me butterflies. What ensured was a mildly frantic and heart pounding few days fuelled by imposter syndrome and adrenaline. 

Apart from fawning over all the incredible backstage pieces, I helped assist Abby Bennett, who is a phenomenal stylist. There were mundane tasks like sticky taping the bottom of shoes for god knows how long, and sitting awkwardly by as models had their fittings. I said hi to one particular model and he just stared at me blankly, so there's that. 


When the Converse_X_ models arrived at the fittings, there was some nervous tension. I was so honoured to been allocated the task of actually putting together all the outfits for the Converse part of the show! I'd never styled much before, so this was a new but exciting experience for me. 

On the day of the show, I honestly felt like we became a group of friends. Wide-eyed and bushy-tailed, we arrived at Melbourne Town Hall early for their hair and makeup. I took a hell of a lot of film photos and hung around with the crew. The show was set at the Melbourne City Baths and was such a thrilling, fun time. I'm chuffed to say that I'm still friends with the team now. I've never met an energy like Aysha's or a soul like Kara's. Panashe and I even hung out in Japan. Crazy how this internet thing works.




As a model

I honestly don't think I can call myself a model – it makes me feel squeamish. But I guess that's what you call walking in an instore runway for Carlton boutique RPM Melbourne. I'm super flattered that I was asked to walk as I have barely any experience. Hell, I have barely any experience walking in heels. And there were stairs.

Tip #1: Shoulders back, shoulders back! It might feel ridiculous but it looks so much better. Wish I had taken that advice myself.
Tip #2: Don't rush; take your time. The runway is short, it ain't a sprint.

Tip #3: Maybe don't listen to advice to someone who doesn't know what she's doing. 

  

Until next time,
Maggie x




2 comments

  1. Love it! Fashion week looks so fun, I hope I can attend one year. You killed it as a writer, stylist and model! Its really inspiring how you went from someone attending fashion week, to someone involved in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Charlotte! This is such a lovely comment, hope you can make it to Fashion Week one year – lots of free events to check out too xx

      Delete

© The Misfitted

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig